Scandinavian Style Bach
The interior walls of this newly built bach is completely clad in Poplar/Birch plywood, including the kitchen cabinets.
This kitchen may look understated on first glance, but every inch of the craftsmanship is on show, from the exposed end-grain profiles to the negative details between the cupboard doors and walls. Accuracy was paramount to ensure every piece of this kitchen sits perfectly flush.
A selection of the plywood cabinets are covered in black linoleum, and the black overhead cupboards are finished in a black matte Perspex, ensuring they are light enough to open.
Instead of adding handles these cupboards hand holds have been cut away, leaving the end-grain profile of the plywood to be the star of the show.
The splashback photo, taken by the homeowners’ son, has been printed onto glass. Printed splashbacks personalise and add interest, and this image complements the tones used throughout the kitchen.
This kitchen features in our 2020 Kitchens Look Book
>> ORDER YOUR COPY HERE
Want to get this look?
- Benchtop: Stainless Steel, Corner: Corian Glacier White
- Cabinets: Birch Plywood by Plytech. Three finishes: Clear Varnish, Charcoal Marmoleum, and Matte Black Perspex
- Sink: Archant Robiq welded into bench
- Splashback: Metro Glass & Capital Glass – printed photograph
Who was involved?
- Kitchen designed, manufactured and installed by Mastercraft Kitchens Wairarapa
- Architects: Michael Cooper Architects & Crosson Architects
- Builder: Thistle Building Company